Monday, April 20, 2009

The Miracle Baby

First of all, let me mention how excited I am knowing I will see these guys on Friday evening at our house in Kansas City.I haven't seen the family in over a week and the days are certainly longer without them here.

So pardon my sensitivity today but since I haven't seen my son in over a week I decided to go back and look at some of the early pictures of him including his birth. I just can't believe how much he's changed.

Several of you have probably heard the "Miracle Baby" story. I'm not sure I ever blogged about it last year but the people who have seen the picture are usually pretty amazed.

**Let me warn you that the picture below is a little graphic**



I took this picture as Anderson was being born.

That is a true knot in his umbilical cord. Only 1% of all babies are born with a true knot. And of that 1% a percentage do not survive because nutrients and oxygen may not be getting to the baby. In addition, the cord was completely wrapped around his neck at least once.

Just to the right of the knot is his right food and you can also see his little hand grabbing the nurse's hand as if to pull himself out.

Shelly tells this story far better than me but I'll give it an attempt to summarize.

A few minutes after Anderson was born by C-section the nurse whispered to Shelly that she had a "miracle baby" and that he would do something very special someday. She then told Shelly about the cord. We didn't realize that picture captured it until possibly a couple of days later when we were reviewing the pictures on the computer. We have no idea how long the knot had been like that or how long the cord had been wrapped around his neck. But I get chills every time I look at that picture and thank God for bringing him to us safe and sound...and screaming his head off.So anyway, there's my retro sentimental post for the week.

See ya soon little buddy.
Mike
Springfield, VA

1 comment:

Jayspee27 said...

WOW!!! That is a serious knot! You weren't kidding! We are going to seriously miss you guys! :(