Thursday, June 12, 2008

Eskimo Essary's

Greetings from Alaska! We are on day 4 of our 7-day Alaskan cruise and having a great time. Arrived with all of our parents late Saturday night, caught a train early the next morning for a scenic 4-hour train ride to the port city of Seward where we boarded our ship, the very beautiful ms Volendam of the Holland America fleet.

It's been a very relaxing trip and we've seen sights you just can't see in the center of the U.S. Many mountain goats, whales, bald eagles, and sea lions. We're in Juneau now in fact and preparing to board a small vessel for a whale watching adventure and will visit one of the largest glaciers in Alaska.

Everything so far has gone very well. Probably the only thing that hasn't is me almost falling into the ocean yesterday. Shelly and I were in Haines, Alaska yesterday and walking along the shore looking for shells and interesting rocks. Shelly was searching for sea shells on the sea shore. Go ahead and say that 3 times quickly. I reached down to check out a rock and lost my balance. Trying to maintain my cool, I took a large step to re-gain my balance. The result was my left food stomping down on a large pool of water near the coast. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day walking around with my left leg soaked from my shin down. Made squishing noises every time I took a step. But what Shelly wants Shelly gets right?

Better head back to the ship and begin our search for whales. We'll make sure Shelly has the camera ready in case I get to jump on and ride one.

Mike
Juneau, Alaska

No comments: