Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My date with The Black Widows



Okay, over Memorial Day weekend I accompanied Shelly back to her hometown of Wakeeney, Kansas for her 20-year high school. I had met several of her friends before at our wedding and other times when they came to visit or when we were in Wakeeney. So I was familiar with the husbands of her friends and figured I'd enjoy a little time with them talking guy stuff while all the girls caught up and gossiped. By the way, I met the Kansas version of my sister, Marcy. Michelle Wilson knows everything about everyone in town and surrounding towns. And she seems offended when another girl offers up some news she was unaware of. So you can imagine after several hours around Michelle even I was pretty caught up on gossip and was ready to offer some up if anyone asked.

Anyway, we get to the restaurant where everyone was meeting up. One by one came the arrival of each of Shelly's girlfriends (Sandy, Michelle, and Lisa), formerly known as The Black Widows I later learned. Each girl would come in without their husband and I just thought they were doing the gentlemanly thing of dropping them off at the door and the husband would be in shortly. Nope, each girl offered some lame excuse about where their husband was and that he likely wouldn't make it or would come later. At first I felt sorry that their husband was busy and could not make it until it hit me. These girls purposely came alone so they could spend time with me!

We left the senior class reunion and headed downtown. What was supposed to be three other couples having dinner with Shelly and me at the Western Kansas Saloon and Grill ended up being me with four hot girls. Even being a married man, I can still appreciate feeling like I'm The Bachelor. Fortunately, no one broke their collar bone, pointed out lice on any of their classmates, and none of the girls peed their pants that I'm aware of.

And yes, the pic above is Shelly's senior picture taken during her 1987-1988 senior year. Pretty cool collar huh? What you can't see are likely the twist beads and the jellies. Ah, the good ole days.

Back to KC tomorrow.

Mike
Chesapeake, VA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would have only been fair to show EVERYONE'S senior picture!! Not just my fuzzy, over-permed 80s hair!! The picture is awful, that's a given, however, I'd take that rockin' tan back in a heartbeat!!