Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The move experience

This was the sight at the Essary house in Kansas City last Friday morning as a 26 foot U-Haul truck sat prepared to move most of our stuff to our house in Manhattan, KS. We were back in Kansas City last week as I had a conference there all week. Shelly packed boxes during each day and I helped pre-position them into the garage at night. Shelly was definitely the MVP as she packed every box in the house, except my one box for my clothes. Needless to say, it's been an exhausting past couple of weeks but we're all moved in now and are happy to be in Manhattan.

Overall, we moved 5,820 pounds of stuff. 5,000 of that was furniture and household items and the other 820 pounds was Shelly's shoes. Here I am pretending like I'm not about to drop this box down the stairs.Anderson cooperated greatly by playing with his toys and being a good little boy. He started out with a sack of toys, then proceeded to dump out the toys, rip open the bag, then try to eat it.With two bottom teeth already in, he's in full fledged teething right now. And that means he's a big drool monster as evidenced by his spitty shirt.I guess watching all of us move tuckered he and Daphne out.I hired these two guys to come and help load the truck.And I learned something about helping them. Of all the options I'm pondering after retirement I know one job I can cross of the list--furniture mover!

Our garage before...And after...After everything got loaded up we headed west to Manhattan. Arrived about 7:30 PM, hired a couple of college boys to help unload, and we finished up just after 10PM. This is Shelly at the end of the day.The bad part was I had 24-hour watch duty at Ft. Riley beginning at 8AM the next morning. Luckily, Shelly's mom and dad drove over and helped her organize the house. They were a great help and made lots of progress. I got home the next morning and almost everything was put away.

Our new address is:

2211 Tamarron Terrace
Manhattan, KS 66502

More pics of our set up house later.

Mike
Fort Riley, KS

No comments: