Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Feeling the baby kick

So I finally felt the baby move! Shelly started feeling it a few weeks ago but we could never time it right for me to feel it. I recall one time when he was very active and Shelly put my hand on her belly. Problem was it was halfway through the movie "Hancock" and it was hard to feel anything except the thump of the movie sounds. Other times when she felt it she would put my hand there and I would almost suffocate waiting to feel it. You know how you hear a sound in another room or outside and you stop breathing so you can concentrate all your senses to try and hear it or feel something? Well, I would put my hand there and stop breathing for like 75 seconds waiting. Once my face would turn blue I would pull away and attempt to begin breathing again, disgruntled in my failure to feel anything.

But at my parents house in Oklahoma this past weekend I finally felt it. Not sure what I was expecting but I don't think that was it. I guess I thought it would be similar to feeling someone's stomach when their belly was growling. Maybe just a dull rolling feeling. Instead, this little punk kicked my hand off like he I was disturbing him. And I've had the opportunity to feel it a few times since then and I actually saw it this morning. I think this kid wants outta there. He always measures bigger than normal at this point and I think he's irritated he has to stay in there for a few more weeks. I still have thoughts of him stepping out of Shelly's uterus 3 months from now and saying, "Man, it is hot as crap in there. Glad you guys finally let me out!". And from all that kicking, I'm thinking he may be a soccer player. Or as Posh Spice calls it, "Futbol".


In unrelated news, Shelly won second place in the Porter Peach Festival dessert contest this past weekend in my hometown. Unwavered by her fourth place finish last year, Shelly was determined to put forth an awarding winning product. She named her entry "Cresthaven Crisp". My sister Marcy* won first place. The * is there because the amount of effort she actually put into the creation of the dessert is still under investigation by Shelly and my other sister, Mandy. I believe Marcy put some ingredients in a bowl. But word has it my mom took over from there, mixed it, poured it into the pan, and ensured it was in the oven the proper amount of time. And I actually ended up taking it to town that day and entering it under Marcy's name. Nevertheless, Marcy is the grand prize winner and has bragging rights for another year.


The pic above is of Daphne on the drive down to Porter. She had just gotten back into the car after a lunch break at Dairy Queen for us and a potty break for her. She was so hot she got into the floor and laid there by the vent, prompting me to switch some cool air down there to the floor. Oh, and beside her is what is left (nothing) of a hot fudge sundae. Shelly let her lick the bottom of the cup. With some cool air on her and some ice cream in her gut, she laid back and took a nice long snooze.

Mike
Kansas City, MO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I had lee stop on the way to tulsa and pick up ingredients, I defrosted my peaches, mixed it, put the entire dessert together and put it in the fridge. The only thing mom did was put it in the oven and watch it, because I was running a race while everyone else slept in. If you're gonna post my business, at least be accurate. Sore losers...