Monday, April 7, 2008

My fear of lullabies

There are many people out there with odd phobias. Like fear of clowns or fear of balloons. Well, I've had a fear of lullabies for quite some time now. Not sure why but everytime I hear one it just gives me the creeps. The worst is "Hush now baby don't say a word..." Makes my skin crawl just thinking of it. Hang on. Okay, I'm back now from locking my hotel door and looking under the bed.

Thinking others may have the same phobia I googled "lullaby phobias". Nothing, but I did run across something interesting on wikipedia. They list the following as the origin of lullabies:

"The word Lullaby comes from the Hebrew phrase "Lilith Abi" which means Go Away Lilith. Lilith was a woman possessed by Satan who killed babies and seduced men in their sleep." It's no wonder these tunes freak me out!

Despite my best interest, let's go back and break down my worst lullaby.

"Hush little baby, don't say a word. Papa's gonna buy you a mocking bird. And if that mocking bird won't sing. Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

If that diamond ring is brass, Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass. If the looking glass will break, Papa's gonna buy you a chocolate cake.

When the chocolate cake you eat, Papa's gonna buy you a puppy sweet. If that puppy will bark, Papa's gonna buy you a horse and cart.

If that horse and cart break down, Papa's gonna buy you a big toy clown. Hush little baby! Don't you cry. Mama's gonna sing you a lullaby."

So what we're saying is we're bribing the young tot to go to sleep by promising unrealistic items in exchange. I do not even know what a mockingbird or looking glass is or where I would get one if the kid called me out. I can just see it once the kid is old enough to talk, "Yo pops, what's up with that mockingbird you promised me that time?" How do I answer that one?? And let's say I am able to find all those things and we get to the big toy clown. A big toy clown?! Are you kidding me? What's creepier than that?!

My plan is to never introduce lullabies to the kids and instead, maybe subsititute a little Journey, Eagles, some good ole 80s hair band tunes or some classic country. I'd be much more comfortable humming a few lines of "Hotel California" and that song makes no promises of what I will do if the kid does go to sleep. And what' s more soothing than humming a few lines of "Open Arms" by Journey. Maybe break into a little Ozzy in the morning to wake them.

Since we create the cognitive nature of children by introducing lullabies at an early age, if we never do that then they will never know the difference. Nothing would make me more proud than to see my kid walking to kindergarten whistling the beginning of Guns n Roses' "Patience". I'm telling ya, his lunch money would remain in his pocket my friends.

Mike
Seoul, South Korea

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lee and I have had these conversations before, about lullabies. I had no idea the origin was so creepy. But let's take "rock-A-bye Baby" for instance... It says "rock a bye baby, in the tree top, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock, when the bow breaks, the cradle will fall, and down will come baby, cradle and all." So we are basically singing about a Baby crashing down from the top of a tree to an untimely demise?? That's violent! So lee came up with the "millenium" version where you just replace "down will come baby" with "daddy will save you"... It works well.

Kampfgruppe-H said...

Brother Mike,
Awesome blog and even better news for you and Shelly! I agree with you and the lullaby thing. I personally raised my four kids on Johnny Cash, Elvis, Tom Jones, and of course, The Doors. They can't even begin to fall asleep until they've heard "It's Not Unusual," or "Love Me Two Times."

By-the-by, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Germany later this month!

Anonymous said...

Mike..

you don't know me but I am a friend of Marcy's and found your blog through her. You are in luck...I have a lullaby series for you!! look up "Rockabye Baby...Lullaby Renditions of...Eagles, Beatles, Cold Play, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, U2, Bob Marley, etc.!!!! My husband loved this when we found them!!!

My son just turned two and his new favorite song that he walks around the house singing is..."Sweet Home Alabama" while playing his quitar!! It's great!

Anonymous said...

guitar..i meant guitar!!!